It took quick thinking and teamwork by neighbors to keep a grass fire from engulfing a local home shortly before 3 p.m. on Easter Sunday just outside of Boulder Wyoming. While getting ready for spring by burning old dead grass, a gust of wind pushed the fire too close to a house in the Big Country Ranches subdivision. It quickly began to smolder under the siding at the foundation line.
The homeowner, with several neighbors coming to his aid, quickly opened the siding with a chainsaw and got the fire under control and extinguished before it could do any permanent damage.
Shortly thereafter, the Sublette County Sheriff, Pinedale, and Boulder Volunteer Fire Departments provided follow up and confirmed the first responders had taken care of the fire properly. One of the helpful neighbors lucky enough to have relocated from back east last year said, “It sure does bring home the fact that we need to be able to fix any problem that comes up ourselves!”
Our Wyoming wind is very unpredictable, be ready for the worse! Please keep plenty of water available during all burning of debris, yards, fields, and irrigation ditches.
Join one of our local volunteer fire departments to help out! Click here for phone numbers.
Sublette Times Staff
Permission to reprint is granted as long as Sublette Times.com is credited or listed with the article.